Tuesday, March 13, 2007

french researching

Just a short note to say that I was actually quite staggered today. Kenn (a visiting researcher from Delaware on my project) asked when I was leaving, I answered the end of May, and Trevor was like, "oh my, so soon!" Kenn then proceeded to be like, you should get her to stay..." And Trevor was like, "yeah, but I can't." He looked straight at me -- and I said, "You've never tried," kind of just to see what he would say. It is true, he actually has never asked me to stay, even though he is continually harassing Andrew about taking the PhD position. I think its because whereas Andrew doesn't really know what he's doing next year, I have concrete plans that I can't change, Trevor knows I'm going to med school and so has never bothered to try and change that. It was funny though, he was like, "I haven't?"
And then later, he brought it up again and was like, "of course, if you wanted it, the PhD position would be yours in a heartbeat." And I was shocked at how tempting that sounded! Lately I have been really busy and involved with my research, the question has become much more intriguing, and I could actually see myself getting a PhD. Don't worry, I'm not going to perjure myself, or whatever the term is, by going back on my word to Vandy Med, and I have wanted med school since I was 6, I'm not changing my mind in a heartbeat, but there is a certain allure to the research option as well, more than I thought it would be.
I think it partly felt good just to get that offer, that I could stay if I wanted, but huh. Interesting.

No comments: